Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Victoria's response

I found this article interesting for two reasons. One, I had no idea that clothes had such an environmental impact. Two, I think its very strange that Uganda only or mostly only sells second-hand clothing. When I usually think of consumption and environmental impact, I think of food waste, sewage, plastic bottles, etc., but never of fashion. The last point about second hand clothes is an example to me of how much outsiders treat the "third-world" as the third-world. I am not even sure if Uganda is considered a third-world, but this article makes it seems as such. It is just so interesting and sad to me how we expect certain people to have less and have no qualms about it. We think its fair for others to not have the things and opportunities that we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment